|Family Plot and Tombstone|
Caleb and Joanna [Whitney] Sylvester
Graceland Cemetery, Mineral Point, Iowa Co., WI
- BIRTH: 06 Nov 1799; Otisfield, Cumberland Co., Maine, USA
- DEATH: 17 Apr 1862; Mifflin, Iowa Co., Wisconsin, USA
Mother: Hannah COBB
Family 1: Caleb Barker SYLVESTER
- MARRIAGE: 10 Sep 1818
- Eben Whitney SYLVESTER
- Eliza Anne SYLVESTER
- Lydia SYLVESTER
- Sylvanus SYLVESTER
- George Washington SYLVESTER
- Charles Carroll SYLVESTER
- Caleb Barker SYLVESTER
- Franklin SYLVESTER
- Attila SYLVESTER
- Abigail Frances SYLVESTER
- John Fairfield SYLVESTER
- Emma Luci SYLVESTER
_Nathaniel WHITNEY ___ _Abel WHITNEY _| | |_Sarah FORD __________ _Micah WHITNEY _| | | _Micah CANE __________ | |_Mary CANE ____| | |______________________ | |--Joanna WHITNEY | | _Chipman COBB ________ | _Andrew COBB __| | | |_Elizabeth INGERSOLL _ |_Hannah COBB ___| | _? GREEN _____________ |_Hannah GREEN _| |_Mary BROOM __________
NotesUpdated July 6, 2013. Compiled by Howder (www.howderfamily.com) from the following source(s):
Various sources list alternate spelling of first name as Johanna and/or the nickname Annie.
(1) Commemorative Biographical Record of the Counties of Rock, Green, Grant, Iowa and Lafayette Wisconsin. Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1901. Pages 432-433.
"Joanna (Whitney), who was distinguished by her industrious and frugal habits, passed away at the age of sixty-three years. She was born at Otisfield, Maine, a daughter of Michael [this is undoubtedly a typo: other sources list it as Micah] Whitney, whospent seven years in the Continental Army. Two of his sons took part in the battle of Lake Champlain during the war of 1812, another son, Joel, became a leading citizen of the town of Phillips, where he operated a store and mill, and served in the Legislature."
(2) "From Maine to the Midwest, The Sylvester Family Journey to Wisconsin in 1844." Desert Tracker, the Journal of the West Valley Genealogical Society: Maricopa County, Arizona: Volume 25, Number 1, Spring 2004.
Caleb Barker Sylvester and his wife Joanna (Whitney) Sylvester undertook a journey from their home in New England to settle in south, central Wisconsin in 1844. The journey took place in several steps:
- Boston, MA by boat.
- Worcester, MA
- Springfield, MA
- Albany, NY
- Buffalo, NY by way of the Erie Canal
- Chicago, IL via the Great Lakes
- Southern Wisconsin by horse
(3) 1850 United States Census for Wisconsin, Iowa Co., Mifflin Twp.: District No. 6; Household 1094; September 19, 1850.
Joanna (Whitney) Sylvester is married to Caleb Sylvester, head of household. She was born in Maine and is 50 years old. The children listed are: George W., Charles, Caleb, Franklin, Atilla, Abbie F., John F., and Luci A.
(4) 1860 United States Census Wisconsin, Iowa Co., the Town of Mifflin, Mifflin Post Office: Page 70; July 6, 1860.
Joanna (listed as "Johanna") [Whitney] Sylvester is married to Caleb (listed as "Charles") Sylvester, head of household. She is 60 years old and was born in Maine. Children in the household are John Fairfield and Emma. Other residents include Leroy Ellis, 25, born in Ohio and George Cook, 15, born in Canada. Two of Joanna's sons married women with the surname Cook who were born in Canada, but their relationship if any to George Cook is presently unknown. The households of Lorenzo Stevens (Joanna's son-in-law), Caleb Baker (son-in-law), and Eben W. Sylvester (son) are all found on the same page of the Census record.
(5) Family Data Collection - Individual Records via Ancestry.com
- Name: Joanna WHITNEY
- Spouse: Caleb Barker SYLVESTER
- Parents: Micah WHITNEY, Hannah COBB
- Birth Place: Otisfield, ME
- Birth Date: 6 Dec 1799
- Marriage Date: 10 Sep 1818
- Death Place: Mifflin, Iowa, WI
- Death Date: 17 Apr 1862
- Source: Edmund West, comp., Family Data Collection - Individual Records [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA
(6) Listed in Daughters of the American Revolution membership records 157305 (issued 1920), 481880 (issued 1961) and 569548 (issued 1972), and many others that are much older.
(7) The History of Gorham Maine, by Hugh D. McLellan, Picton Press, Camden, ME (originally published 1903 by Smith & Sale, Portland, ME), 1992. Page 834.
(8) Family History, Volume S(4), Sylvester, Daughters of the American Revolution library, Washington, DC., p. 2.
(9) Our Pioneering Families, Genealogies of Whitney, Groathouse and Lignitz, researched and compiled by Vivian Gail Morrow Wade, Dec. 1986, first edition. Self-published manuscript available at DAR Library, Washington DC. Page 66.
- "Moved to Wisconsin"
(10) Site visit to the Sylvester Family Plot (N 42° 51.473, W 090° 11.743 ±26'), Graceland Cemetery, Mineral Point, Iowa Co., WI, July 9, 2004.
The Slyvester family tombstone lists several individuals including Joanna (Whitney) Sylvester, and the notation "Natives of Maine." She is recorded as "Joanna W. Died Apr. 17, 1863 Aged 63-5-11."
Mayflower lineage: Howland/Tilley -1; Hope Howland -2; Hope Chipman -3; Samuel Cobb -4; Chipman Cobb -5; Andrew Cobb -6 (DAR/SAR ancestor); Hannah Cobb -7; Joanna Whitney -8.