(2) The History of Gorham Maine, by Hugh D. McLellan, Picton Press,
Camden, ME (originally published 1903 by Smith & Sale, Portland, ME),
1992. Pages 829, 833-834.
"Micah Whitney, son of Abel, was a blacksmith. He served in the war of
the Revolution and was a sergeant in the War of 1812. He married Hannah,
daughter of Andrew and Hannah Cobb."
(3) "Early Settlers of Otisfield, Maine," compiled by Grinfills Holden,
- Family was living in Otisfield, with one child.
(4) Family History, Volume S(4), Sylvester, Daughters of the American
Revolution library, Washington, DC.
(5) Commemorative Biographical Record of the Counties of Rock, Green,
Grant, Iowa and Lafayette Wisconsin. Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1901.
"spent seven years in the Continental Army. Two of his sons took part in
the battle of Lake Champlain during the war of 1812... Ancestors of
this family came to Massachusetts in the seventeenth century, and many of
its members were prominent in the civil and military affairs of the
(6) Listed in Daughters of the American Revolution membership records
157305 (issued 1920), 476629 (issued 1960), 515332 (issued 1966), 717023
(issued 1988), 727930 (issued 1989).
From DAR #476629: "My ancestor's (Mica, Micah Whitney) place of residence
during the Revolution was Buxton (now Gorham, Maine), Mass... served as a
private in Capt. Jeremiah Hill's Co., Col James Scammon's 30th Reg.,
muster roll dated Aug 1, 1775; enlisted Sep. 27, 1775... also Company
returns dated Sep. 27, 1775; including abstract of pay Aug 1, 1775; also
order for money in lieu of bounty coat dated Oct. 26, 1775 (Massachusetts
Soldiers and Sailors, Vol. 17: 238).
(7) Our Pioneering Families, Genealogies of Whitney, Groathouse and
Lignitz, researched and compiled by Vivian Gail Morrow Wade, Dec. 1986,
first edition. Self-published manuscript available at DAR Library,
Washington DC. Pages 63-73.
"Buried at the Rufus Bean Farm on the bank of the Sandy River- unmarked
graves for him & Hannah in 1843."
(8) Whitney Research Association, witney13.ged database file (to contact,
subscribe to the Whitney-L e-mail list on rootsweb.com).