John Fairfield SYLVESTER
- BIRTH: 23 July 1841; Franklin Co., Maine, USA
- DEATH: September 1917; Monte Vista, Rio Grande Co., Colorado, USA
- BURIAL: Monte Vista Cemetery, Monte Vista, Rio Grande Co., Colorado, USA
Mother: Joanna WHITNEY
Family 1: Emma OSBORNE
- MARRIAGE: 19 November 1863, Iowa Co., Wisconsin, USA
- Anna J. SYLVESTER
- Loren B. SYLVESTER
- Osborne W. SYLVESTER
- Franklin G. SYLVESTER
- Myra SYLVESTER
- Robert A. SYLVESTER
- Fairfield SYLVESTER
- John SYLVESTER
_William SYLVESTER _ _Charles SYLVESTER _| | |_Mary Springer LOW _ _Caleb Barker SYLVESTER _| | | _Caleb BARKER ______ | |_Lucy BARKER _______| | |_Illathera HOWLAND__ | |--John Fairfield SYLVESTER | | _Abel WHITNEY ______ | _Micah WHITNEY _____| | | |_Mary CANE _________ |_Joanna WHITNEY _________| | _Andrew COBB _______ |_Hannah COBB _______| |_Hannah GREEN ______
NotesUpdated December 31, 2011. Compiled by Howder (www.howderfamily.com) from the following source(s):
(1) 1850 United States Census for Wisconsin, Iowa Co., Mifflin Twp.: District No. 6; Household 1094; September 19, 1850.
John F. SYLVESTER is the son of Caleb and Joanna SYLVESTER. He was born in Maine, is 10 years old, and is attending school.
(2) 1860 United States Census Wisconsin, Iowa Co., the Town of Mifflin, Mifflin Post Office: Page 70; July 6, 1860.
John Fairfield SYLVESTER is the son of Caleb (listed as "Charles") and Joanna (listed as "Johanna") SYLVESTER. He is 19 years old and was born in Maine.
(3) Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907 via Ancestry.com
- Name: Fairfield SYLVESTER
- Name: Emma OSBORN
- Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1863
- County: Iowa
- Volume: 01
- Page: 0380
(4) 1870 United States Census for Iowa, Boone Co., Yell Twp. (Perry, Dallas Co. Post Office): page 30; dwelling 232; family 225; August 8, 1870.
(John) Fairfield SYLVESTER is head of household, married to Emma O. [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER. He was born in Maine, is 29 years old and is a buyer and seller with real estate valued at $9,500 and personal estate valued at $3,700. He is eligible to vote. Children listed in the household are Anna J. and Loren B. His nephew Clarence BAKER (from his sister Atilla SYLVESTER BAKER) is also a resident.
(5) LDS FamilySearch 1880 United States Census database for Yell, Boone Co., IA. Family History Library Film 1254328, NA Film Number T9-0328, ED 5, Page 74B.
John Fairfield SYLVESTER is listed by his middle name, is 38 years old and born in Maine, as are his parents. He is head of household, a farmer, and married to Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER. The children listed in the household are: Anna J.; Loren B.; Osborne W.; Frank; Myra and Robert O. Also listed in the household are Minnie HANSON, a servant, and Anthony GARD, a servant and farmer.
(6) 1885 Iowa State Census, Boone Co., Yell Twp.: page 512; dwelling 54; family 54, R8 SE.
(John) Fairfield SYLVESTER is head of household, married to E. O. [Emma OSBORNE] SYLVESTER. He is 43 years old, born in Maine and is a farmer. Children in the household are Anna J., Loren, O.W., Frank, M., R.A., F.G., and J.J.
(7) The History of Boone County Iowa, Containing A History of the County, its Cities, Towns, &c.; Union Historical Company, Birdsall, Williams & Co., Des Moines, Iowa, 1880, via Boone County, Iowa GenWeb page.
"SYLVESTER, F., of the firm of Sylvester, Huntley & Osborne, bankers, grain merchants, etc. Ogden; was born in Franklin county, Maine, July 23d, 1841, and when only four years of age his parents removed to Iowa county, Wisconsin, where he was raised ; he came to Ogden in October, 1869, and engaged in the grain and lumber business; he was married in Wisconsin, November 19, 1863, to Miss Emma OSBORNE, a native of England; they have by this union a family of four sons and two daughters: Anna, Loren, Osborne, Frank, Myra and Robert; Mr. SYLVESTER received the advantages of a good common school education, supplemented with three years in high schools; he is a practical, upright business man, the best evidences of which are seen in the success that has attended his career."
(8) Iowa Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1884-1885, page 785, via Ancestry.com
- SYLVESTER, Fairfield, proprietor, Bank of Ogden, grain and live stock.
(9) 1900 United States Census for Colorado, Rio Grande Co., Precinct No. 5: Supervisor's District 2; Enumeration District 130; Sheet 7B; June 20-21, 1900.
[John] Fairfield SYLVESTER is head of household, married to Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER. Children in the household are Osborn, Robert, Fairfield Jr., and John SYLVESTER. Another child, Franklin SYLVESTER and wife live in the next household.
- Birth date: July 1841; age 58.
- Number of Years of Present Marriage: 37.
- Birthplace: Maine, as were his parents.
- Occupation: Farmer.
- Home: Owns his farm with a mortgage.
(10) 1910 United States Census for Colorado, Rio Grande Co., Precinct 5: Supervisor's District 2; Enumeration District 129; Sheet 3A; April 25, 1910.
[John] Fairfield SYLVESTER is head of household, married to Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER. Their son Robert is also in the household.
- Age: 68; married for the past 46 years.
- Birthplace: Maine, as were his parents.
- Occupation: Farmer, on the home farm. He is an employer.
- Home: Owns his farm.
- His sons, Robert and Franklin and their families live on farms nearby.
(11) The Ogden Reporter, (Ogden, Iowa), via Ancestry.com
- September 1917, as reported September 11, 1947: "Thirty Years Ago," - "Mrs. Orson CLARK received a telegram Saturday announcing the death of her brother, Fairfield SYLVESTER, at his home in Monte Vista, Colo. He was one of the pioneer settlers of this vicinity, coming here in 1869 from Wisconsin with the John T. S. WILLIAMS and Dr. Orson CLARK and family. They made the trip in a covered wagon, SYLVESTER and WILLIAMS located on farms 3 miles south of town, while Dr. CLARK located in Ogden for the practice of his profession. Later Mr. SYLVESTER was associated in the first lumber yard established in town under the name of Sylvester and Clark, with the same firm in operation of the first drug store, and in later years in the general merchandise business. He moved to Colorado about 25 years ago."
(12) U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970 via Ancestry.com; application for Loren B. SYLVESTER, approved May 22, 1920. National Number 31447; State Number 622 (Colorado).
- Loren Ballou SYLVESTER lists his parents as Fairfield SYLVESTER (born 1841, died 1917) and Emma OSBORNE SYLVESTER (born 1842, still living, married 1863).
(13) Sampson, Gertrude Sylvester, 1842-1925, "A biographical history of the ancestry of Julian Carroll Sampson [manuscript] : embracing that of his wife Bertha Sylvester Sampson, including all data obtainable by those who are connected in these two direct lines of William and Obediah Sylvester and Abraham Samson." The New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) Library, Boston, MA.
- Cousin of [Ariana] Gertrude [SYLVESTER] SAMPSON, author of the source cited above. - In 1855, He attended school in a log schoolhouse, 3 miles away in Waterloo, Wisconsin, with his sister Emma and her cousins Gertrude and Eugene, walking the distance when the weather was nice (page 54).
(14) Rio Grande County Genealogy Co-op Page, Monte Vista Cemetery - Monte Vista, Colorado
- "SYLVESTER, Fairfield Sr. 1841 1917"
(15) Listed in DAR Membership 114606 for Mrs. Marjorie STATTON GILBREATH.
(16) Family History, Volume S(4), Sylvester, Daughters of the American Revolution library, Washington, DC., p. 2.
Mayflower lineage: Howland/Tilley -1; Hope Howland -2; Hope Chipman -3; Samuel Cobb -4; Chipman Cobb -5; Andrew Cobb -6 (DAR/SAR ancestor); Hannah Cobb -7; Joanna Whitney -8; John Sylvester -9.