(1) 1850 United States Census for Illinois, Kendall Co., the Town of
Kendall: Page 2; September 25, 1850.
Mary [Smith] Ballou is married to Silas Ballou (listed as "Billow"), head
of household. She is 23 years old and born in Michigan. Children in the
household are Emily, William and Charles.
(2) 1860 United States Census for Iowa, Cedar Co., Massillon Twp., Cedar
Post Office: Page 45; August 2, 1860.
Mary J. [Smith] Ballou is married to S. W. Ballou, head of household.
She is 33 years old and born in Michigan. Children in the household are
Emily, William, Charles, Erriengo, and Ellen.
(3) 1870 United States Census for Iowa, Cedar Co., Massillon Twp. (Louden
Post Office): page 16; dwelling 117; family 117; August 24, 1870.
Mary J. (Smith) Fassett is married to R. L. J. Fassett, head of
household. She was born in Michigan, is 42 years old and owns the farm
with a real estate value of $8,500. R. L. J. has two children from a
previous marriage, Rowena and Joseph Fassett; Mary has two children from
a previous marriage, Ellen and Lydia Ballou; and they have a child
together, Albert S. Fassett.
In the next household are her sons William (with wife and child) and
(4) 1880 United States Census for Iowa, Cedar Co., Massillon Twp.: page
5; Supervisor's District 1; Enumeration District 345; June 5, 1880.
[Mary] Jane [Smith] Fassett is married to Jerome Fassett, head of
household. She is 52 years old, born in Michigan, and is keeping house.
Her parents were both born in New York. Their child Albert S. Fassett is
also a resident.
She lives two residences away from his son, Alfred E. Ballou and family.
(5) Mathews family records via electronic file. May 19, 2002. Cites the
- Information from Betsy (Howder) Smith's probate record.