THIS FILE IS FOR GENEALOGICAL PURPOSES ONLY
__ __| | |__ __| | | __ | |__| | |__ | |--Stephen SMITH | | __ | __| | | |__ |__| | __ |__| |__
(1) Application for probate of the last will and testament of Christian Howder, Niagara Co., NY, May 28, 1832.
"...Betsy, the wife of Stephen SMITH, who with her said husband resides in Oakland County in the territory of Michigan..."
(2) 1850 United States Census for Michigan, Lapeer Co., The Town of Almont: July 22, 1850.
Stephen SMITH is head of household, married to Betsey [HOWDER] SMITH. He is 52 years old, born in New York and is a miller. He has real estate valued at $1,600. Children in the household are Marcus, Fourz, Nancy O., Abigail, Silva A., Hansen, Caroline and Harriett SMITH.
(3) 1860 United States Census for Michigan, Lapeer Co., Dryden Twp.; Page 165, July 18, 1860.
Stephen SMITH is head of household. He is 62 years old, a miller with real estate valued at $1,000 and personal estate valued at $50, and born in New York. Other residents include Eunice SMITH (relationship unknown) and Betsey TERREY (domestic servant).
(4) 1870 United States Census for Michigan, Lapeer Co., Dryden (Dryden Post Office): page 34; dwelling 287; family 292; August 2, 1870.
Stephen SMITH is head of household, married to Emma (maiden surname unknown) Smith. He was born in New York, is 72 years old and is a miller (grist) with real estate valued at $700 and personal estate valued at $150. He is eligible to vote.
(5) Mathews family records via electronic file. May 19, 2002. Cites the following facts.
- Stephen SMITH was probably the son of Asahie SMITH (born abt. 1770; died in Lockport, Niagara Co., NY, year unknown) and Deborah (surname unknown; born about 1775; died in Raisin, Lenawee Co., MI, year unknown), who were married about 1797.
- Bought land in Oakland County MI, April 21, 1825 and July 21, 1832, section 14 and 23 West Bloomfield Township. Records from Oakland Genealogy Society report.
- 1820 Census. Niagara Co., NY.
- 1850 Census. July 22, 1850, Almont, Lapeer Co., MI.
- 1860 Census. July 18, 1860, Dryden, Lapeer Co., MI.
- 1870 Census. August 02, 1870, Dryden, Lapeer Co., MI.
- Information from Betsy (HOWDER) SMITH's probate record.