(1) 1900 United States Census for Kentucky, Campbell Co., Bellevue City:
Supervisor's District 6; Enumeration District 30; Sheet 22A; June 16,
Jane (listed as "Jennie" [Hayes] Howder is married to Lewis Howder, head
of household. Children in the household are Margaret, George, Mary and
- Address: 157 Front Street.
- Birth month: December 1859; age 40.
- Number of Years of Present Marriage: 14 years.
- Motherhood: She has given birth to 6 children, 4 of whom are presently
- Birthplace: Kentucky, with her parents from Ireland.
(2) 1910 United States Census for District of Columbia, Washington City,
Precinct #5 (Part of): Enumeration District 86; Sheet 10B; April 27,
Jennie H. [Hayes] Howder is married to Lewis (spelled "Louis") H.
Howder. Their children are listed as Margaret M., George E., Mary J.,
Genevieve I., William J., Louis H Jr., and Elzear J.
- Age 51, married 22 years.
- Motherhood: Gave birth to 9 children, 7 still living.
- Birthplace: Kentucky, with both of her parents from Ireland-English.
(3) 1920 United States Census for the District of Columbia, Washington
City, Precinct 6 (part of): Supervisory District 40; Enumeration
District 40; Sheet 8B; January 1, 1920.
Jane [Hayes] Howder is married to Lewis Howder (spelled "Hodder"), head
of household. Their children are listed as William, Louis, and Elzear
(spelled "Elilza") Howder, along with daughter Genevieve Brown and her
husband John Brown. There are also four roomers.
- Age: 60 years old
- Birthplace: Kentucky, with her parents also from Kentucky.
(4) Interview with Howder family.
- Family legend says that she was related to president Rutherford B.
Hayes. This has basically been totally refuted by evidence.
- She was a very devout Roman Catholic (sons attended Gonzaga, a Catholic
high school in Washington, DC).
(5) Naylor Family Interview, April 19, 2002.
- Jane's sister, Mary Hayes Burke, moved to Washington, DC to work for
Sen. Joseph Benson Foraker (R-Ohio) as a cook. Sen. Foraker was able to
arrange a job at the General Printing Office for Jane's husband, Lewis
Howder, so the family moved to Washington.
(6) Buried Arlington National Cemetery. Section 17, Grave 21321, with
her husband Lewis.