- BIRTH: March 1842; England
- DEATH: 1934
- BURIAL: Monte Vista Cemetery, Monte Vista, Rio Grande Co., Colorado, USA
Mother: Jane //
Family 1: John Fairfield SYLVESTER
- MARRIAGE: 19 November 1863, Wisconsin, USA
- Anna J. SYLVESTER
- Loren B. SYLVESTER
- Osborne W. SYLVESTER
- Franklin G. SYLVESTER
- Myra SYLVESTER
- Robert A. SYLVESTER
- Fairfield SYLVESTER
- John SYLVESTER
__ __| | |__ _Robert OSBORNE_| | | __ | |__| | |__ | |--Emma OSBORNE | | __ | __| | | |__ |_Jane //________| | __ |__| |__
NotesUpdated December 31, 2011. Compiled by Howder (www.howderfamily.com) from the following source(s):
(1) 1860 United States Census Wisconsin, Iowa Co., the Town of Mifflin, Mifflin Post Office: Page 57; June 21, 1860.
Emma (listed as "Emmy") OSBORNE is the daughter of Robert OSBORNE (50 years old, a farmer born in England) and Jane OSBORNE (45 years old, born in England). Emma is 18 years old and born in England. Her siblings are Robert, John, Ellen, Joseph and Margaret Jane. The last two siblings were born in Wisconsin, but all others were born in England, placing their immigration at some time between the previous 5 and 13 years.
(2) Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907 via Ancestry.com
- Name: Fairfield SYLVESTER
- Name: Emma OSBORN
- Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1863
- County: Iowa
- Volume: 01
- Page: 0380
(2) 1870 United States Census for Iowa, Boone Co., Yell Twp. (Perry, Dallas Co. Post Office): page 30; dwelling 232; family 225; August 8, 1870.
Emma O. [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER is married to (John) Fairfield SYLVESTER, head of household. She was born in England, is 28 years old and is keeping house. Her parents were both of foreign birth. Children listed in the household are Anna J. and Loren B. Fairfield's nephew Clarence BAKER (from his sister Atilla SYLVESTER BAKER) is also a resident.
(3) LDS FamilySearch 1880 United States Census database for Yell, Boone Co., IA. Family History Library Film 1254328, NA Film Number T9-0328, Page 74B.
Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER is 37 years old and born in England, as are her parents. She is keeping house, and married to John Fairfield SYLVESTER. The children listed in the household are: Anna J.; Loren B.; Osborne W.; Frank; Myra and Robert O.
(4) 1885 Iowa State Census, Boone Co., Yell Twp.: page 512; dwelling 54; family 54, R8 SE.
E. O. [Emma OSBORNE] SYLVESTER is married to (John) Fairfield SYLVESTER, head of household. She is 42 years old and born in England. Children in the household are Anna J., Loren, O.W., Frank, M., R.A., F.G., and J.J.
(5) 1900 United States Census for Colorado, Rio Grande Co., Precinct No. 5: Supervisor's District 2; Enumeration District 130; Sheet 7B; June 20-21, 1900.
Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER is married to [John] Fairfield SYLVESTER, head of household. Children in the household are Osborn, Robert, Fairfield Jr., and John SYLVESTER. Another child, Franklin SYLVESTER and wife live in the next household.
- Birth date: March 1842; age 58.
- Number of Years of Present Marriage: 37.
- Motherhood: She has given birth to 8 children, 7 of whom are presently living.
- Birthplace: England, as were his parents.
(6) 1910 United States Census for Colorado, Rio Grande Co., Precinct 5: Supervisor's District 2; Enumeration District 129; Sheet 3A; April 25, 1910.
Emma [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER is married to [John] Fairfield SYLVESTER, head of household. Their son Robert is also in the household.
- Age: 68; married for the past 46 years.
- Motherhood: She has given birth to eight children, six of whom are presently living.
- Birthplace: England, as were her parents.
(7) 1920 United States Census for Colorado, Rio Grande Co., Precinct 5: Supervisory District 3; Enumeration District 246; Sheet 7B; April 12-13, 1920.
Emma O. [OSBORNE] SYLVESTER lives with her son John J. and daughter-in-law Anna M. SYLVESTER. Emma is 78 years old and a widow. She was born in England as were her parents.
(8) Biographical and Historical Record of Greene and Carroll Counties, Iowa, Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co., 1887. Page 270.
THE LISTING FOR EMMA OSBORNE'S BROTHER, JOHN OSBORNE: "JOHN OSBORNE, dealer in grain, lumber and coal and one of the prominent men of Scranton, is a native of Cornwall, England, born in the year 1844, a son of Robert OSBORNE. The father immigrated to America when our subject was a child, settling in Iowa County, Wisconsin, where he resided till his death in May, 1878. The father was a miner, and followed that occupation from the time he came to America in 1848 until 1855 when he engaged in farming, which he followed the remainder of his life. His family consisted of six children, three sons and three daughters. John, the subject of this sketch; Robert living in Iowa County, Wisconsin; Joseph, of Carroll County, Illinois; Emma, wife of Fairfield SYLVESTER, of Ogden, Iowa; Ellen, wife of W. J. BURNS, of Ponca, Nebraska, and Margaret J., wife of J. W. TAYLOR, of Iowa County, Wisconsin. John OSBORNE, our subject grew to manhood in Iowa County, being reared to agricultural pursuits. He remained with his parents till 1866, but remained near his home till 1872, when he came to Iowa, and located at Ogden, Boone County, where he was engaged in dealing in live stock and farm implements until 1877, when he came to Scranton, Greene County. The year before leaving Ogden he began dealing in grains in connection with his other business. In 1876 Mr. OSBORNE formed a partnership with SYLVESTER & HUNTLEY, they succeeding A. S. OMRO in his grain trade, and the same year this firm built the west elevator. Mr. OSBORNE bought out SYLVESTER and HUNTLEY's interest in 1882 and has since conducted the business alone, becoming one of the leading business men of Scranton. His elevator has a capacity of about 14,000 bushels. In the spring of 1885 he added the lumber trade to his business, in which he is meeting with good success. Mr. OSBORNE was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth A. BAKER, a daughter of John U. BAKER, of Iowa County, Wisconsin. In politics Mr. OSBORNE affiliates with the Republican party."
(9) Rio Grande County Genealogy Co-op Page, Monte Vista Cemetery - Monte Vista, Colorado
- "SYLVESTER, Emma O. 1842 1934."
(10) U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970 via Ancestry.com; application for Loren B. SYLVESTER, approved May 22, 1920. National Number 31447; State Number 622 (Colorado).
- Loren Ballou SYLVESTER lists his parents as Fairfield SYLVESTER (born 1841, died 1917) and Emma OSBORNE SYLVESTER (born 1842, still living, married 1863).
(11) Listed in Daughters of the American Revolution Membership 114606 for Mrs. Marjorie Statton Gilbreath.
- Provides year of birth.
(12) Family History, Volume S(4), Sylvester, Daughters of the American Revolution library, Washington, DC., p. 2.