(1) 1870 United States Census for Michigan, Eaton Co., Bellevue Twp.,
Bellevue Post Office: page 19; July 18, 1870.
Nathan Gates is head of household, married Lydia [Thurston] Gates. He
was born in Canada - West, is 35 years old and is a farmer with real
estate valued at $2,500 and personal estate valued at $260. He is
eligible to vote. Their children listed in the household include Ellen,
Mary, Rachel and Oscar.
(2) LDS FamilySearch 1880
United States Census database for Day, Montcalm Co., MI. Family History
Library Film 1254596, NA Film Number T9-0596, Page 102C.
Nathan Gates is listed as 47 years old and born in Canada. His parents
are both listed as having been born in New York. He is head of
household, a slate mason, and married to Lydia [Thurston] Gates. The
children listed in the household are: Ellen (Paterson); Rachael; Oscar;
Alice; and Frances A.. Additionally son-in-law Charles Palmer, and his
son Freeman Palmer reside here.
(3) 1900 United States Census for Washington, Pierce Co., Gig Harbor
Precinct: Supervisor's District 1; Enumeration District 147; Sheet 8B;
June 21, 1900.
Nathan Gates is head of household. His daughter Rachel Crowley and
granddaughter Lydia Crowley reside with him.
- Birth date: December 1832; age 67.
- Number of Years of Present Marriage: He is a widower.
- Birthplace: Canada, with his parents from New York.
(4) J. Smith family records, February 10, 2002.
- This source includes a rather comprehensive 27-page review of Fellows
Gates and his descendants.
- Provides date and place of birth and passing.
- Born in Canada to American citizens.
- Children: Patricia Ellen, Mary, Rachel Ann, Oscar, Alice, and Frances.
- "Sometime between 1870 and 1880, Nathan and Lydia moved to Kansas where
they lived in or near Hope, Ka. Daniel Thurston's papers at time of his
will list his daughter Lydia Gates as living in Kansas and at least
Frances and probably Alice were born in Kansas. They evidently moved
back to Mi. before 1880."