(1) Application for probate of the last will and testament of Christian
Howder, Niagara Co., NY, May 28, 1832.
- Resident of Niagara County, NY
- "Barbara Howder now the wife of Nathaniel ------" (illegible
handwriting appears to say "Mathews").
(2) 1850 United States Census for Michigan, Lapeer Co., Almont Twp.:
Household 224, July 23, 1850.
Barbara (spelled "Barbery") [Howder] Mathews is married to Nathaniel
Mathews (spelled "Matteus"). Children in the household are Wilbur,
William, James, Geraldine, David, Edora?, Vallorus, and Lorenzo. Barbara
is 40 years old and born in Vermont.
(3) 1860 United States Census Michigan, Lapeer Co., Almont Twp., Almont
Michigan Post Office: Page 99-100; July 3, 1860.
Barbara [Howder] Mathews is married to Nathaniel Mathews, head of
household. Children in the household are Theodore, Taborus and Samuel.
She is 51 years old and born in New York.
(4) Mathews family records.
"Barbara was born in Oct 1809, married 1826 and moved to Lapeer County MI
- "Howde or Houder."
(5) Pioneer Families and History of Lapeer County, Michigan. J. Dee
Ellis, compiler. Ellis Publishing Co., Lapeer, MI, 1978, pages 98-99 &
- lists marriage of son, Veloris Mathews. Lists surname incorrectly as
"Houder" but listed as "Howder" in the corrections page.
(6) Sketches of Old Hillsdale, Historical and Genealogical, Volume IV.
Vivian Lyon Moore, for the Daughters of the American Revolution library,
1956., pages 85-90.